Before going into my own crazy story about my struggles with bipolar disorder I want you to understand what can happen during a manic episode. I experienced pretty much all of these symptoms and I want to go through and share with you my personal experience with each symptom which tells a pretty crazy story.
Signs and symptoms of a manic episode include:
- Increased energy, activity, and restlessness
- Excessively “high,” overly good, euphoric mood
- Extreme irritability
- Racing thoughts and talking very fast, jumping from one idea to another
- Distractibility, can’t concentrate well
- Little sleep needed
- Unrealistic beliefs in one’s abilities and powers
- Poor judgment
- Spending sprees
- A lasting period of behavior that is different from usual
- Increased sexual drive
- Abuse of drugs, particularly cocaine, alcohol, and sleeping medications
- Provocative, intrusive, or aggressive behavior
- Denial that anything is wrong.
A manic episode is diagnosed if elevated mood occurs with 3 or more of the other symptoms most of the day, nearly every day, for 1 week or longer. If the mood is irritable, 4 additional symptoms must be present.
My 1st manic episode back in 2008 lasted for months and during that episode I had ALL of these symptoms. If you or anyone else you know has bipolar disorder and needs help please contact me and I will try my best to help. Contact me on Facebook or at email@example.com.